Jul 08, 2008 20,463 Comments by

There are some undeniable facts and historical trends that seriously indicate the economy is in much worse shape than most “experts” would have anyone believe. On top of that, throw in a dose of religious mythology and doom-saying, and we have the makings of how the seven deadly sins could lead the United States into a depression, not recession.

GLUTTONY

Wikepedia defines Gluttony as “the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste….it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food, or its withholding from the needy.” For the past 4 decades the United States has implemented an inane policy of farm subsidies; we’re literally paying farmers to destroy livestock and crop. All this in the midst of a world wide food shortage and crisis. World War I was often blamed on the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but the more significant underlying cause was the rising food prices throughout Europe that caused great unrest.

GREED

The meteoric growth of the United States stock market in the 1920’s and its ensuing crash was the catalyst for the Great Depression. One of the primary drivers was the absolute lack of any common sense regulations. Fast forward 80 years, and we have a housing market on the verge of collapse, because every yuppie family in the US wanted a house just a big as their neighbors, even if they didn’t have the income to justify it.

This comical and scary presentation is the best explanation I’ve ever seen of why we’re having a real estate market crash.

The Real Estate Market CrashFree Legal Forms

SLOTH

Over 1 million students drop out of high school each year (read more here).

We’ve medicated over 2.5 Million children for ADHD.

Besides our troops and their families, over 300 million Americans have never been asked to make a single sacrifice, despite being at war for the last 5 years.

WRATH

We’ve become an angry ass nation. We hate abortionists, we hate pro-lifers. We hate gays, we hate traditionalists. We hate science, we hate religion.

Sometimes I find myself watching Fox News just to see how angry I get.

ENVY

Who are we envious of… ourselves.

40 percent of American families annually spend more than they earn.

The average per household debt in the U.S., not counting mortgage debt, is about $14,500 (before the 1930s, most middle and working class people had no major debts)

More Stats Here

PRIDE

The national debt is approaching 10 Trillion Dollars

Our manufacturing industry is in steep decline and we are an increasingly less self-reliant country.

Traditional services based jobs (legal, accounting, call centers) which drive the economy now vie for competition all across the world.

The dollar is at historic lows, and the most likely path to curb crippling inflation will be a steady increase of interest rates, which will eventually cause a rise in unemployment and the price of consumer goods to skyrocket.

In spite of all these historical indicators, we remain overly optimistic, overly abundant, and overly prideful of our economic hegemony in the world.

The US has the most vibrant, innovative, and resilient economy in the history of the world. A serious economic downturn is NOT a foregone conclusion, but it is a likely one if we don’t take heed of historical trends and deadly sins.

what about..

LUST

Actually, that one is not that bad. Check out my last blog post.

Editorial

About the author

Jason is the Co-Founder and CEO of Docstoc.com, the premier destination to start and grow businesses, offering the best selection of documents and content resources. Jason is also the creator of Startups Uncensored the long running and most widely attended tech mixer in Southern California. Before starting Docstoc, he was a partner in a venture consulting firm in Los Angeles where he worked with dozens of startups. Jason holds a BA from UCSB and his JD/MBA from Pepperdine University, where he was the Student Body President of both Universities.

20,463 Responses to “How the 7 Deadly Sins Could Lead the United States into a Depression, not Recession.”

1. black friday louboutin loafers says:

Tutto da giorno, la moda da sera è rinviata: sarà presentata il prossimo 17 ottobre a Los Angeles in una serata di gala per l’inaugurazione della nuova sede del Wallis Annenberg Center for Performing Arts, nell’ex ufficio postale di Beverly Hills. Per Ferragamo, sponsor dell’evento, sarà anche l’occasione per festeggiare i cento anni trascorsi da quando il fondatore andò a conquistare l’America facendo base a Hollywood dove aprì il suo primo negozio.Ferragamo vola nel 2013 ed senza debiti

2. Rehab In Dallas texas says:

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless imagine if you added some great graphics or video
    clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this site could definitely be one of the best in its niche.

Amazing blog!

3. pirater un compte facebook gratuitement says:

Wonderful web site. Plenty of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And certainly, thank you for your sweat!

Also visit my site – pirater un compte facebook gratuitement

4. zapatillas de senderismo Salomon says:

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
    It’s the little changes that produce the largest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

Here is my web blog … zapatillas de senderismo Salomon

5. Fredericka says:

I do not even know the way I ended up right here, however I assumed this publish was once
    great. I don’t recognise who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger for those who aren’t already.
    Cheers!

6. drug Rehab oklahoma says:

I love reading an article that will make people think.
    Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

7. telephone service says:

Hi!. I would like to have an online store using blogger and paypal. Any ideas how to do it? Could you please give me step by step instructions? I appreciate it. Thanks!.

8. Grazyna says:

When you have located a appropriate class and expenses, it would be a
    superior strategy to request your clubs committee to totally fund the class.
    This is something you simply must learn to do and it needs to be something you
    always do. “There is major significance here,” Huyghue told the Sun.

9. シチズン バンド調整 says:

ハウディ私はそう思いハッピー私が見つけた、あなたのウェブサイト| Askjeeve| | AOLの|ビンビン| GoogleのDiggに見て、私は研究していたが、事故|ミス|ブログは}、私は本当に優れた {仕事、素晴らしいを維持でくださいより。
    シチズン バンド調整 http://www.sntmotiv.com/upload/news/citizen-890/7@@3k2014102121403728af.php

10. Zapatos Louboutin says:

Howdy fantastic website! Does running a blog like this require a massive amount work?
    I have virtually no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping to start
    my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for
    new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I just
    had to ask. Thank you!

11. curso de unhas de gel says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that too few folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I stumbled across this during my search for something concerning this.

12. ikzouhetnietweten.nl says:

You made some decent points there. I checked on the net for more info about the issue and
    found most people will go along with your views on this website.

My homepage; Health And Workout (ikzouhetnietweten.nl)

13. kakprosto.ru/ says:

There is evidently a lot to realize about this. I suppose you made some nice points in features also.