10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes

Sep 23, 2008 20,030 Comments by

What should the core values for our company be? Being a HUGE comic buff, I took this as the opportunity to frame our mission and values within the metaphor of an epic adventure. So here is the list of our core values, based on 10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheros. (substitute “Superheros” for “Your StartUp Company”)

Superheroes Never Give Up

Like Batman, you have to keep pressing on to the very last breath. Challenges are overcome by wholeheartedly committing to unrelenting persistence.

Superheroes Always Get the Job Done

There are no excuses if you don’t save the girl from the burning house. There are just results, not reasons, you either save the day or you don’t. Gray area is for Kafka not comic heros.

Superheroes Are the Best at What They Do

Flash is the fastest and we all know it. . If you’re the back end developer, you are the best developer in the world, and everyone on your team knows it. Let great talent excel in areas where their superpowers are most needed.

Superheroes Are Crystal Clear of their Purpose

Captain Marvel may be a cheeseball, but he knows what he stands for. Startups die when they are not clear on their mission.

Superheroes Are NOT Flawless

Superheros have flaws, every member of your team will also. The goal is not perfection, it’s the pursuit of perfection.

Superheroes Do Not Seek Glory…But They Get it Anyway

Don’t do it because you want the attention.
If you do it right, you’ll get it anyway

Superheroes Help Others

Superheroes help people by solving problems. Startups should be obsessed NOT with themselves, but with how they are going to help other people and solve their issues.

Superheroes Can Do it By Themselves But Are More Powerful in Teams

You always have to have each other’s back. Its you vs. the world and brining together your own team of superheroes, and the mutual respect, loyalty, and camaraderie of that team is vital.

Superheroes’ True Strength Comes From Their Character

No matter how super you think you are, you’re strength comes from your character not your talent. Be courageous, be respectful, be honorable, be selfless.

Superheroes Accomplish Huge Feats

The same effort it takes to start a lemonade stand or college club, is the same raw effort it takes to change the world. Your goal is not to build a product or get traffic… Your goal is to accomplish the most amazing feat imaginable. Make the Product, Save the World.

And here is a presentation I gave on the topic with the presentation:

Part 1

Part 2

Ten Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes

Featured, Stuff

About the author

Jason is the Co-Founder and CEO of Docstoc.com, the premier destination to start and grow businesses, offering the best selection of documents and content resources. Jason is also the creator of Startups Uncensored the long running and most widely attended tech mixer in Southern California. Before starting Docstoc, he was a partner in a venture consulting firm in Los Angeles where he worked with dozens of startups. Jason holds a BA from UCSB and his JD/MBA from Pepperdine University, where he was the Student Body President of both Universities.

20,030 Responses to “10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes”

1. Diana says:

Did you go to university? proscar compresse da 5 mg “I’m not there yet because I see him work,” Kubiak said. “I see what he’s going through. I am concerned about repetitions. That’s just me as a coach. … We gotta do what we gotta do. We’re trying to do the smart thing here.”

2. North Face Clearance says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes

3. canada goose butikk says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes
    [url=http://www.oricoaaheim.no/coyote/canada-goose-butikk.html]canada goose butikk[/url]

4. goose jakke says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes
    [url=http://www.okhorten.com/tatler/goose-jakke.html]goose jakke[/url]

5. http://gilbertsomc.blog.Com/ says:

I drop a leave a response each time I like a article on a website or I have something to contribute
    to the conversation. Usually it is a result of the sincerness communicated in the article I read.
    And after this post 10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From
    Superheroes. I was moved enough to post a comment :-P I actually do have 2 questions
    for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it look as if like
    some of the remarks appear as if they are left by brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post.

Would you list all of your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Visit my blog Bank shares (http://gilbertsomc.blog.Com/)

6. sale womens clothes says:

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

7. kitchen remodel cost says:

I just wanted to jot down a remark to be able to express gratitude to you for the pleasant tips you are giving out on this website. My long internet search has at the end of the day been rewarded with brilliant insight to talk about with my close friends. I would claim that many of us visitors are very fortunate to live in a great place with so many lovely individuals with very beneficial tactics. I feel very blessed to have encountered the webpage and look forward to really more exciting times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.

8. free run femme noir says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes
    free run femme noir

9. Elijah says:

real beauty page motrin and aspirin ys The talks were continuing but Iran “certainly made someproposals this morning,” Mann said, adding the powers werelooking for concrete, constructive ideas from the Iranian side.Iranian media said the package was entitled “Closing anunnecessary crisis, opening new horizons” but did not elaborate.

10. Hetilainat.fi says:

Kingfisher Airlines shares slumped in early 1915 as Secretary of
    State loans Bank of Indiaa Rs 410 crore, secured or unsecured loan.

11. Single Women In Idaho says:

It’s in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this
    useful information with us. Please stay us up to
    date like this. Thanks for sharing.

my web-site – Single Women In Idaho

12. Grace says:

Through friends http://www.michaelrasbury.com/da-vinci-diamonds-slots-gratis/ da vinci diamonds online free slots The taxi driver, meanwhile,  received a summons for being the unauthorized driver of the vehicle but so far faces no additional charges, police said.  Reports show that he’d  had seven traffic violations in the past three years.

13. DE says:

We’d like to invite you for an interview http://ferso.org/pigskin-payout-slot/ pigskin payout slot By the time the fire was put out, 650 square meters (7,000 square feet) of the roof had gone, part of a central staircase and some facade masonry had collapsed and rooms had been damaged by water and smoke, fire brigade spokesman Pascal Le Test said.

14. moviestarplanet cheats says:

Free mobile phone to spend the relatively small sum
    of its graphics and interesting ones. Just like that, moviestarplanet hack although many games will provide you with hours of battery life not lasting quite long enough.

It offers different engaging ways to fuel your brain you would have thought
    that the simple game of your initial moves on to create a relaxing past
    time. Flash, an ordinary mobile phone, which are turn-based are not
    just a few tough take action.

Stop by my site … Moviestarplanet cheats

15. Douglas says:

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few
    of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a
    linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

16. can i track my gps online says:

Thank you for any other fantastic post. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect approach of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search for such information.

17. www.mespa.org/about/Passios03.html says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes

18. heroes of camelot hack says:

Both locations have specific areas designed to villains and heroes.
    And those who suffer from chronic illness have hope, if their diet is carefully
    evaluated and adjusted. The heroes I speak of have no comprehension of how such a vulgar, pandering, offensive culture such as ours
    has devolved.

19. Tiffany Blue Nike Free says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes

20. juicy couture uk online shop says:

I havenˇt checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess Iˇll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

21. secockpit discount special offer lock in says:

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your
    articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.
    However just imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos,
    this site could certainly be one of the most beneficial in its niche.

Wonderful blog!

Visit my web-site: secockpit discount special offer lock in

22. air max pas chere says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes
    air max pas chere

23. nike air max pas cher says:

10 Lessons Startups Can Learn From Superheroes
    nike air max pas cher

24. moviestarplanet unlimited gold says:

To acquire good development company and can be installed in your phone, smartphone, PDA moviestarplanet hack or hand held is huge business.
    These games can be noted in such a 3D type of game.

my homepage – moviestarplanet unlimited gold

25. Sophie says:

The National Gallery http://www.365casinos.com/double-diamond-mine-slot-machine/ diamond mine slot game “We feel comfortable with the claims paying ability of thebond insurers and will leave the contention of the bankruptcyfiling to other involved parties,” said John Woerth, a spokesmanfor the Vanguard Group.

26. Ariana says:

I saw your advert in the paper http://www.sudokuhints.com/bee-lucky-slot-machine/ bee lucky slot machine “Savings made as a result of proposed changes to ouroperational model will be passed on in the form of pricereductions, ensuring our medicines are more affordable toChinese patients,” Hussain added.

27. Harold Fales says:

Reach the summit of handiwork you might have executed, this specific web page is very cool with skillful facts.