VIDEO: The Most Important Things in Business

Mar 28, 2011 27,760 Comments by

DocStoc – Entrepreneur (3/23/11) from OC Creative Media on Vimeo.

Here was a recent video interview I did for Entrepreneur Magazine.  Its a short clip talking about Docstoc and my philosophy on how to break out of the pack by focusing on the “most important items”.

Its a common mantra I preach to our team.  There is an incredibly small number of items we work on that actually drive the great deal of our progress, we all know this as the Pareto Principle or the 80-20 Rule.  Our challenge and opportunity as business leaders is to identify those critical items and execute amazingly on that 20% of work that drive our business.

Ask yourself each day you come into the office, before you start your day – “what’s the one thing, that if I get done today, this week, this month, will have the biggest effect on my business”.  Write that down, and then look at those item(s) and check yourself to see what percent of your time you’re actually dedicating towards those efforts.

Many of us of have a tendency to work the LEAST on the items that will drive our businesses the MOST.  This is simply because those items usually take more planning, thought, time, or are simply harder to accomplish.  But, by consistently identifying and focusing on the most important things in business, and by prioritizing them to get the majority of our energy and time, we’re sure to break out of the pack and continue to see growth and success in our businesses.

Uncategorized

About the author

Jason is the Co-Founder and CEO of Docstoc.com, the premier destination to start and grow businesses, offering the best selection of documents and content resources. Jason is also the creator of Startups Uncensored the long running and most widely attended tech mixer in Southern California. Before starting Docstoc, he was a partner in a venture consulting firm in Los Angeles where he worked with dozens of startups. Jason holds a BA from UCSB and his JD/MBA from Pepperdine University, where he was the Student Body President of both Universities.

27,760 Responses to “VIDEO: The Most Important Things in Business”

1. ゴローズ 札幌 says:

変な奇数うわーそれはあった。 長いコメントが、私は表示私のコメントを提出した後にクリックした私はちょうど書きました。気まぐれ…よく私は再び上ですべてのことを書いていないよ。 関係なく、ブログ、単に を言いたかった!
    ゴローズ 札幌 http://moirahulett.co.uk/page/5.asp?goros1/pl-goros-988

2. ugg boots says:

‘s J-15 carrier-based multi-purpose jet fighter has entered mass production. Japanese media said,ugg boots sale, a prototype J-15 in August 2009 conducted the first test flight. Last November,tiffany, China announced a pilot flying a People’s Liberation Army Air Force J-15 test aircraft in China conducted its first aircraft carrier takeoff and landing. Since 2013,tiffany blue, the PLA Navy continues to drive F -15 fighter takeoff and landing exercises. Japanese media said,christian louboutin sho

3. Golf Star Hack Tool says:

Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find
    a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform
    as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

My web page Golf Star Hack Tool

4. Financial Services says:

I together with my friends have already been checking out the great strategies on your site then the sudden came up with a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the blog owner for those secrets. All the men had been so glad to read through all of them and now have very much been loving these things. Appreciation for indeed being considerably accommodating as well as for making a decision on variety of marvelous information millions of individuals are really desirous to be informed on. Our own honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to earlier.

5. Wood Art says:

Hello. magnificent job. I did not expect this. This is a excellent story. Thanks!

6. Beats By Dre Norge says:

ASAP Berg skrev: Det er latterlig Michael Kors Veske hvor mye skader vi har. Alle har en passform når vi har en full tropp om hvordan vi må sende noen ut på lån, selge noen av dem til å gi dem spilletid, men se på skadene vi har i øyeblikket, Diaby, Chamberlain, Flamini, Podolski, Walcott.Dissosiasjon av sukker fra beroligende hjernen effekter ville bli kalt utryddelse i klassisk betinging applikasjoner, og det tar utrolig lang tid å oppstå selv i det

7. giubbotti peuterey says:

close to Africa,christian louboutin shoes, the African honest,Christian Louboutin France, true friend of Africa as a clear signal.Heritage, has a long history. When the 15th century,jimmy choo wedding shoes, navigator Zheng He's seven voyages, visited Africa four times, toured the East African coast more than ten countries and regions,Abercrombie Donna Outerwears, the city-state. 50 years ago, during the visit of Zhou Enlai proposed five principles of non-Chinese relations with African and A

8. masaj salonu says:

Thanks for any other informative blog. The place else could I am getting that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I’ve a mission that I’m simply now running on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

9. Nike Free says:

FC2 grundades i juli 1999. Nike Air Max 2014 Dam Bolaget är idag baserat i Las Vegas, Nevada och erbjuder användarna en komplett lista med webblösningar. FC2 har ökat dramatiskt sedan det först grundades, med de flesta av dess tillväxt som kommer från Japan. Vi har kommit över ett antal enheter under åren men de flesta är ganska skrymmande och svåra att installera. ETrak s försök att råda bot på detta här på med